Thursday, April 30, 2009

pileated woodpecker!!!

as i was drinking my tea on the front porch this morning i heard very loud pecking sounds coming from the large oak tree in my front yard. along with the noises were big chunks of bark and leaves falling to the ground. i knew it had to be this woodpecker!! i love these birds, they are so big(about the size of a large crow) and majestic looking, i couldn't resist some photos. these are definitely not my best shots ever, most are blurry but you can get the general idea.






5 comments:

Dirt Princess said...

I love to see them. I am somewhat fascinated by them

Unknown said...

I believe you have captured the male! I see a lot of these prehistoric looking woodpeckers around here!!

Linda O'Neill said...

Hi Laura!...I love them too, especially their fancy little red hats.:)

Anonymous said...

I love them too, and that one looks great against that leafy background.

Anonymous said...

Nice looking blog, love your artwork!